bully boss

Ok... first off I work for the state in education. I have no budget so any spending I do is of other peoples money. So when I need something I have to beg, usually unsuccessfully.

Enter the boss! he is in his 60's and cemented in his narrow stinginess. He plays favorites to a VERY small subset of employees. He gives no appreciation unless he is goaded into it. We are expendable. There is no negotiation, it is his way with no ifs, ands, or buts. It is then very ironic that he asks my opinion on technical matters then disregards any recommendations I offer and does what he wants anyway, then comes back to me when he has a problem.

I have never been able to go toe-to-toe with someone... given my bullied past, and the fact that my brain shuts down in a confrontation I can't think to defend myself verbally. These things are deeply rooted and I have not been able to get past. I hate that my boss does not consider my recommendations to have merit. I hate that he doesn't show any appreciation for anyone other than his golden child with blue hair (no she isn't geriatric).

But I digress... the bully boss has been moved laterally and now he has a kush job that he wanted all along. Now he is not my boss and only a customer, which carries the same high profile but now I dont have to deal with him much.We have a new boss that seems to be a 120% improvement... and he seems to care about us.

Another new employee seems to enjoy messing on other people's lawns, although she begins each conversation with "I'm not trying to get into your business". I vacillate between liking her and absolute distrust. I'm the sort that if you get into my business I perceive it as a threat. This noob is obviously a high energy 'git er dun' sort that would seem at home in a high energy marketing department and that's fine, it will just will take time to get used to the office dynamics being jacked up about 60%. I need to dial myself back and try not to be so defensive... but damn, if my pride doesn't get in the way.


Comments